Monday, July 28, 2014

Because She's Happy

Another article for Today's Frugal Mom

"My friend posted a beautiful picture of her daughter jumping at the water’s edge on a sandy beach with the caption, “Because she’s happy!”  It made me think about my own children at the beach.  They jump, shriek, dance, and roll in the water and sand for no other reason than pure joy.  It’s a beautiful thing, with inhibitions lost in the moment of expressing unadulterated happiness.
Her photo made my soul smile, but the more I thought about it, it made me a little sad, too.  My sadness wasn’t for my friend or her daughter, but for my children and me.  My friend’s daughter has Down Syndrome and, while I am no expert on the matter, every person I have ever met with Down’s has never lost their ability to express their contagious child-like joy.  My kids, on the other hand, most likely will, because somewhere on this journey through life I’ve lost mine.
It’s not that I am not joyful, but somewhere I picked up and applied a joy filter to my life.  I think many of you can relate.  It tends to happen when we become cognizant of others and how they will perceive us, of how they will judge.  We begin forfeiting the opportunity to fully embrace our joy, because we stifle the actions that our bodies yearn to express."  Continue reading here.

No comments: